6/22/10

Update on Warrior Dash

First an update of the Warrior Dash last Saturday. This race is insane in the membrane, but the most fun I've had at a race in a long time. I got muddy and loved it. I climbed over junk cars, scaled a cargo net, jumped over fire, and crawled under barbed wire.

The entire race is ran wither on hay, grass, or thick clay mud with everyone sliding around. It went a little too fast for me I was having such a good time. My husband was waiting for me at the end with muddy hands that he held my cheeks with the moment I got to him. What a loving husband :)

When we were walking up to the buses to go to the race I saw a bunch of people coming back to their cars, and I was a little disappointed because these people were not as muddy as I had hoped. Well I came to find out that it was because at the end of the race they have 3 fire hoses spraying groups of people to wash off. I loved that part too, so cold and refreshing.

Jared saved his mud for our friends whose house we were staying at and ultimately their mater bathroom shower.

At the end they served Turkey legs, and tons of muddy hands were holding one. We didn't get to eat one so I thought that would be a perfect recipe to share.

Turkey meat is great protein. It has about half the amount of saturated fat that red meat has, and had B vitamins for energy. Turkey helps turn your body's proteins, fats, and carbs into usable energy, which is a little funny because people are known to fall asleep on Thanksgiving because of the turkey, or is that the football? Just kidding :)

If you have a smoker this recipe would be fantastic, but I think a grill would work too. I found this recipe on Food Network and it looks delish.

Turkey Legs:
6 Turkey Legs
3 Tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 Tablespoon Veg. Oil
Dry Rub Recipe (follows)
Mob Recipe (follows)
Your Favorite BBQ Sauce

Dry Rub Recipe:
1/4 cup chipotle seasoning
1 to 2 tablespoons mild dried ground red chili or paprika
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar

Mop Recipe:
1 cup white vinegar
1 tablespoon BBQ Sauce
1 tablespoon vegetable oil

Several hours before planning on barbecuing, loosen the skin on the turkey legs by running your fingers under it as far as possible without tearing the skin.

Combine the Worcestershire sauce and the oil. Coat your fingers with the mixture and rub really well into the turkey legs, getting as much as you can under the skin. Sprinkle the dry rub over the skin, liberally rubbing into the turkey legs and under the skin. Place the legs in plastic bags and refrigerate.

Prepare the smoker for barbecuing, bringing the temperature to 200 to 220 degrees F. Remove the turkey legs from the refrigerator and let them sit at room temperature for about 30 minutes.

Re-warm the mop mixture over low heat.

Transfer the turkey legs to the smoker. Cook until the legs are very tender and the juices run clear, about 3 1/2 to 4 hours. Mop the legs at 45-minute intervals in a wood-burning pit, or as appropriate for your style of smoker. Serve the legs hot, to be eaten with your fingers, with a side of barbecue sauce.

For a bit healthier meal I think you could leave the BBQ/Mop off and only use the dry rub which I like more anyway. But hey its only a Tablespoon just go for it.

No comments: