5/17/10

Run Farther


The hardest part of running is usually increasing your distance. You are able to do it physically but you may face mental challenges. Here are some strategies to increasing your distance faster and easier.

Make sure to Warm Up:
Pace yourself and you will be able to go farther. Don't hit the course going full speed from the beginning, allow time for your muscles to warm up and they will last longer.

Run Outside:
This is my challenge, as strange as it sounds I like the treadmill. I like having a speed that I have to go or I'll fall flat on my face! I like being able to watch TV while running as a distraction. I also like knowing how far I have gone exactly. But let's face it, you don't work the same muscles as you do running outside. And if you don't want to cheat yourself, get outside. Your race will be so much easier because you will be used to the pavement.

Start a Running Group:Most runners say they never would be able to run long without their running partners. Whether it's because of peer pressure, the distraction of conversation, the motivational support, or maybe a combination of all three, runners who buddy up with friends usually find that they can run longer. For me its all 3, and that's why I find races so addicting: a group over thousands running together with one goal.

Add Strength Training:
Strength training helps your body better deal with the stresses of running. Your muscles will be able to perform longer before getting fatigued, which means you can go for more miles. All it takes is two or three 15- to 20-minute strength-training sessions a week to build more muscle mass.

Fight the Mental Battle:
Some beginner runners are actually physically fit enough to run a certain distance, but they don't have the confidence or mental strength to push themselves farther. In many cases, it's simply "mind over matter." Try to distract yourself by playing mind games, choosing new running routes, or running with other people.

After all these tips next: Stretch and Cool Down
Don't forget to stretch your muscles or you'll be stiff and sore. Take care of your muscles and they'll take care of you :)

No comments: