5/12/10

Ouch

I know we hate talking about but I more hate experiencing it... that's why we will talk about it, and how to prevent it. Chafing that is.

I never really experienced much chafing in my previous races, but with the humidity and rain during this last marathon I have to admit there was some chafage. Mostly under my arms, and every morning when I put deodorant on it stung. Not fun.

So to prevent you from experiencing what I experienced we will discuss how to prevent and treat chafing...

If you are going at least 10 miles you need to lubricate. Once you start training for this you'll know when is best to start, but I would say 8 to 10 miles would be the limit before turning to real chafing prevention.

You should always start with snug clothing (not too tight), staying dry etc. but eventually you'll need to turn to something more.

Lubricant
Most runners use Vaseline because its cheap, but it doesn't stay on as well as other products made specifically for long runs.

Popular lubricants are:
Runner's Lube
Sportslick
Chamois BUTT'r
Chafe Eez

Make your own lubricant - with this recipe I found on a couple of the running boards. Mix equal parts A & D ointment (diaper rash ointment) and Vaseline (1 cup each). Then add vitamin E cream and Aloe Vera cream (1/4 cup each) to improve consistency and smell. (Mixture should be stiff, yet applicable.) It not only protects skin from chafing but can help heal the skin and also is helpful with blister prevention. Low cost and effective. Measurements do not have to be accurate.... this is not baking!

If you get chafing despite all of this... the best thing to do is wash with soap and cool water (this will sting) then soothe with A & D ointment. It relieves pain and itch, promotes healing, and keeps the area lubricated so you can continue running without discomfort. After this product was recommended to some fellow runners it soon became known as "Magic A & D" it works so well.

No comments: